To the extent you provide us information in connection with obtaining health care services from a participating health care provider, we act as a business associate as that term is defined under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended, and implementing regulations (collectively, “HIPAA”) and protect the privacy and security of protected health information in accordance with HIPAA and the terms of our business associate agreement with the applicable health care provider made available to you through the Services. For information about how your health care provider uses and discloses your information, please refer to your health care provider’s HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Collection of Information
- Use of Information
- Sharing of Information
- Transfer of Information to Other Countries
- Anonymization of Data
- Your Choices
- Contact Us
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information directly from you when you fill out a form, submit or post content through our Services, communicate with us via third-party platforms, request customer support, participate in public forums, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information about you that we collect include your name, email address, age, date of birth, postal address, country of residence, username, password, phone number, sports level, the sport you play, sport position, professional status in sports, sports conference, current school, interests, nickname, profile photo, and any other information you choose to provide. If you decide not to provide this information, it may limit our ability to provide some of our Services.
Information We Collect Automatically
We automatically collect certain information about your interactions with us or our Services, including:
- Activity Information: We collect information about your activity on our Services, such as when you request Services or information from us, or when you register with us, or when you participate in public forums, such as on Discord.
- Transactional Information: When you register for our Services, we may collect information about the transaction, such as service details, the date and location of the transaction or receive such information from the platform on which you registered for our Services.
- Device and Usage Information: We collect information about how you access our Services, including data about the device and network you use, such as your hardware model, operating system version, IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, and app version. We also collect information about your activity on our Services, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We (and those who perform work for us) use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about your interactions with the Services. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that we use on our Services and in our emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see the Your Choices section below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We obtain information from other sources. For example, we may collect information from data analytics providers.
USE OF INFORMATION
We use the information we collect to improve our website and Services. We also use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, improve, and develop new services, including to debug and repair errors in our Services;
- Personalize your experience with us;
- Send you technical notices, security alerts, support messages and other transactional or relationship messages;
- Communicate with you about services, and events offered by Athletes.org and others and provide news and information that we think will interest you (see the Your Choices section below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services and our website;
- Detect, investigate, and help prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and help protect the rights and property of Athletes.org and others;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- Create de-identified, anonymized or aggregated information; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
We share personal information in the following circumstances or as otherwise described in this policy:
- With vendors that perform work for us, such as companies that assist us with web hosting or marketing.
- If we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- If we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of Athletes.org, our users, the public, or others.
- With our lawyers and other professional advisors where necessary to obtain advice or otherwise protect and manage our business interests.
- In connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company.
- Between and among future parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership.
- With your consent or at your direction.
- We may share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
- Share data or information with licensing partners.
TRANSFER OF INFORMATION TO OTHER COUNTRIES
Athletes.org is headquartered in the United States. We have vendors in other countries. Therefore, we and those that perform work for us may transfer your personal information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide levels of data protection that are equivalent to those of your home jurisdiction. Where required by law, we provide adequate protection for the transfer of personal data in accordance with applicable law.
ANONYMIZATION OF DATA
In certain instances, we may anonymize or de-identify your data. Anonymization is a data processing technique that removes or modifies personally identifiable information; it results in anonymized data that cannot be associated with any one individual.
By analyzing anonymized data, we are able to build safe and valuable features and better detect security threats, like phishing and malware sites, all while protecting user identities. We can also safely share anonymized data externally, making it useful for others without putting the privacy of our users at risk.
You may update and correct certain account data at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to deactivate your account, please contact email@example.com, but note that we may retain certain data as required by law or for our legitimate business purposes.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Athletes.org by following the instructions in those communications or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Mobile Push Notifications
With your permission, we may send push notifications to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Although the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act or COPPA does not apply to Athletes.org as a non-profit and 501(c)(3) organization and because we do not knowingly collect the information of individuals under the age of 16, Athletes.org still takes children’s privacy seriously.
If Athletes.org knows that a user is a Child, we will NOT intentionally:
- Collect personal data without prior Parental consent;
- Collect personally identifiable offline contact data from that user without prior parental consent;
- Give that user the ability to distribute personally identifiable data without prior Parental consent; or
- Entice that user by the prospect of a special game, prize, or other activity, to divulge more data than is needed to participate in the activity.
If Athletes.org learns that we have collected the personal data of a Child without the legally required Parental consent, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible. Parents who believe that their Child has submitted personal data to us without legally required Parental consent and would like to have it deleted may contact us at email@example.com.
What personal data does Athletes.org collect from donors?
Athletes.org collects and uses personal data including a donor’s name, address, telephone number, and email address when a donor voluntarily provides it to us. This data is kept on file for IRS purposes and is also used in our development and communication activities. A donor can request to be removed from our mailing list at any time by following the instructions in those communications or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does Athletes.org use the personal data it collects about donors?
We will not sell, share, or trade our donors’ names or personal data with any other entity, nor send mailings to our donors on behalf of other organizations, except that we may share personal information of donors with third parties who we contract with to help us host philanthropic events. This policy applies to all donor personal data received by Athletes.org, both online and offline, as well as any electronic, written, or oral communications.
We store personal data associated with your account (e.g., email or name) for as long as your account remains active. We will delete your account data after three years of inactivity. We store other personal data for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
3187 Overton Cove
Birmingham, Alabama 35223
Attention: Privacy, Mit Winter or Legal
Last Updated: August 2023
Originally Enacted: August 2023